What is Early Help?
Early Help is taking action early to provide support where problems are emerging for children, young people and their families. Early help support may be provided at any point in a child or young person’s life. The sooner the family receives the support, the sooner they are able to improve their situation and prevent the need for prolonged support.
Early Help is here to find out what is working well for families and what areas they might be worried about; it can help to build on families’ strengths and identify any needs where support might be needed. It is an approach that brings people together from different teams and services who work together with the whole family. The main focus is to improve outcomes for children.
Why would I need Early Help?
The type of things that Early Help can support you with include:
- Worries about your child’s health development or behaviour
- You might be worried about how they are doing at school
- You might have worries about money or housing and how that is affecting you
- Your child and family may be affected by domestic abuse, drugs, alcohol, ill health or crime
Early Help can give you the tools to solve challenges or problems you are experiencing with help from others where needed.
Who do I ask for help?
At St. Chad’s Catholic Primary School, you can talk with the Designated Safeguarding Lead, Miss Polito, or a Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead: Mrs Grubham, Miss Clarke, Mrs Dunne or Mrs Farley.
You can talk with someone who you’re familiar with - a teacher, health professional or support worker who might be able to help.
You can also contact your local Family Centre and ask to speak to a Duty Worker who will be able to provide lots of advice around Early Help and how it might be able to support you.
Local Family Centres
There are currently five local family hubs around the borough that can offer support to you and your family. They are open Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm.
They are located at:
- Coseley - Bayer Street, Bilston, WV14 9DS, 01384 813096
- Dudley - Selbourne Road, Dudley DY2 8LJ, 01384 812440
- Stourbridge - Forge Rd, Stourbridge, DY8 1XF, 01384 818780
- Brierley Hill - 18 Parkes Street, Brierley Hill, DY5 3DY, 01384 813322
- Lye - Lye By-Pass, Stourbridge, DY9 8HT, 01384 813954
If early help is appropriate, the DSL will take a leading role in liaising with other agencies. The approach and services will be evidence based and focused on what works for children and families and all practitioners who are involved will have a shared vision and common skills to put the family at the heart of deciding and implementing solutions as early as possible.
For further information and the most up to date procedure for Early Help Assessments In Dudley, please visit Dudley MBC: Early help for children and families